Curing a Nail Fungus Infection with an Acidophilus Beer Soak
Curing a Nail Fungus Infection
with an Acidophilus Beer Soak
A nail fungus infection is unattractive at best, annoying at worst. This is not a disease that is going to kill you. It may affect how you interact with the world if it gets to bad, for instance, if your have a very bad toenail fungus infection, it may become painful to walk, or the nerves in your feet may be mildly affected and you won’t be able to feel the floor very well. However this is not a life threatening condition, especially if it is caught early on.
A fungus, most commonly a dermatophyte, can get onto and underneath your nail and find a happy, warm, moist place to grow. Once the fungus has established itself, it turns your nail white or yellow. This is usually seen originally as a spot, but that spot grows to cover the whole nail over time. It also makes your nails thicker and more brittle, because the fungus is consuming the keratin, the protein that your nails are made of, to grow and protect itself.
So one of the biggest problems with a fungal nail infection is that it is located underneath the nail, in the nail bed. One of the most frequently suggested nail infection home remedies is soaking your feet in a combination of dark beer, vinegar and acidophilus, usually referred to as an acidophilus beer soak.
So Why Acidophilus and Beer?
The theory behind this home remedy is that by soaking your infected nails in this solution for 20-30 minutes, you allow the alcohol in the beer to soften up the nail, thus the acidophilus and vinegar can get into and underneath the nail to kill off the fungal infection.
Here is the process:
• Use a dark beer, like Guinness Stout. (Any stout will do, most people happen to know and can get this particular brand.)
• Mix the beer with a ½ cup of white or apple cider vinegar.
• Add a sachet of acidophilus culture. You can find these at your health food store. You want to find one that is 125 billion organisms. (It should say so on the packaging.)
• Stir these all together, then soak the infected nails in the solution for 20-30 minutes a day, twice daily.
• Wash the infected area thoroughly with soap and water afterward, then dry equally thoroughly.
• Put on clean socks (if it is the beginning of the day) or leave your feet exposed to light and air.
This mixture can be used up to four times before disposing of it, which will keep your costs down. Many people have claimed to cure their nail fungus infection entirely by using this simple home remedy.